About Our Program
- Earned accomodations for excellent T.D.A. Audit, School Meal Initiative Review, and continual excellent Health Dept. Inspections
- Closely follow guidelines set by T.D.A. for grades PK-8th.
- Provide fresh fruit and vegtables daily and other healthy ala carte items
- Provide steamed, grilled or baked foods only for grades PK-8
- Plan menus similar to guidelines established by the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture
- Received grant from Texas Department of Agriculture for "Best Practices Nutrition Education" and TASB for meeting safety training requirements.
- Require all child nutrition staff to have Food Handler Certifications (trained/tested by the Tarrant County Health Dept.)
- Require all food service managers to be Food Service Manager certified (trained/tested by the Tarrant County Health Dept.)
- Include 3 drink choices with all lunches -(milk,water or juice).
- surveyed both parents and students to find out their healthy favorites that are "apeeling" to kids.
- has replaced high-calorie snacks with healthy ala carte selections including gluten-free choices.
- is making menu selections in consultation with the CISD Health Advisory Committee and U.S.D.A.
- is teaming up with physical education teachers to stress the importance of regular exercise and good nutrition.
The Child Nutrition Department works closely with Carroll ISD Student Healthy Advisory Committee in providing guidance in the development of health and physical education programs which encourage responsible, healthy standards of life.