The CHS Library has an extensive and continuously updated young adult focused collection developed with teen readers and interests in mind, and the CHS Library supports and encourages free choice reading.
Resources Available to Connect Readers to Books:
- Mrs. Loomis has created Resource Lists in Destiny to recommend Young Adult books by genre, topics, and more. To access the resource lists, go to destiny.southlakecarroll.edu, select Carroll High School and then Catalog. The resource lists link is on the left.
- The CHS Library subscribes to Novelist which connects readers to books by making recommendations for what to read next. One of the most popular elements is read-alikes. This feature suggests titles that are ‘just like’ other titles. It contains lists of recommended reads and award-winning books. It covers both fiction and nonfiction titles for all ages from the youngest readers to adults. Click here to access Novelist. See Mrs. Loomis or text: 682-514-9513 for username and password information.
- The Tayshas Reading List was developed to motivate young adults, grades 9-12, to become lifelong readers and to participate in the community of young adult readers throughout Texas.
- The Young Adult Library Services Association has developed a Teen Book Finder Database that provides access to annual selected book and media lists, awards, and honorees. These resources are developed by library staff and educators to support the collection development and readers' advisory work of library staff. These books and media have been selected for teens from 12 to 18 years of age and span a broad range of reading and maturity levels.
- Book Trailers are a great way to learn about books. Be sure to take a look at the Playlists on the CHS Library's YouTube Channel.