Reporting Hours for Community Service
Students record their community service hours through their Naviance account:
- Log into Naviance at https://student.naviance.com/carroll.
- Click on the X2VOL tab. The first time students do this, they will need to set up their account. To begin recording hours, look on your Dashboard homepage and click on the green “Add Hours” then “Create New.”
- YOU DO NOT NEED TO CREATE AN ENTRY EVERY TIME YOU VOLUNTEER. To avoid system shut-down (which multiple single entries create,) combine your hours by the semester or grade year. For example, for “Activity Name,” you may type “9th Grade Service,” then type what you did in the “Project Description” box. Scroll down to “Activity Contact” and type in the name of your school counselor and the campus counseling office phone number (DO NOT TYPE IN AN EMAIL ADDRESS.) List the last date you served, then select the total number of combined hours during that time period.
- Be sure to click on the “Apply to All Non-Exclusive Goals…” and the honesty statement before you “Submit.”
- If you are entering hours as a member of YMSL, SASO, NCL, etc., you are to use your counselor’s name and the counseling office phone number as the “Activity Contact.” DO NOT USE AN EMAIL ADDRESS.
- Counselors will monitor and approve the community service hours about once per month.
Advantages to reporting community service in Naviance:
- Students don’t have to have a particular form in order to record hours.
- Student’s “dashboard” view shows exactly what has been entered and approved.
- Students “self-report” service hours to colleges.
Guidelines for community service:
- Service hours must be provided for nonprofit organizations.
- Service hours may not be completed during the student’s school day.
- Service hours mandated through Teen Court for citations are excluded.
- Activities for which a student receives direct benefit or compensation/pay are excluded (i.e., fundraising for a field trip).
- Students may begin accumulating community service hours during the summer after completion of 8th grade and continue through May 1 of the graduation year.