Carroll ISD strives to hire the most qualified applicant for every position. The district requires current Texas certification. The applicant must obtain endorsement from the college or university attended, satisfactory completion of an Educator Preparation Program, including student teaching. All teachers should be Highly Qualified (HQ) for the assignment to meet No Child Left Behind Guidelines (NCLB). Personnel Services will review certification qualifications prior to employment.
Basic teacher certification requirements in Texas/Carroll ISD
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university
- Complete teacher training through an approved program
- Successfully complete the appropriate TExES/ExCET exams
- Be Highly Qualified for the teaching assignment per No Child Left Behind Guidelines as verified by Personnel Services
- All teachers in the state of Texas are required by the Texas Education Agency (TEA) to complete state mandated exams before being eligible for certification and to be considered Highly Qualified for No Child Left Behind. Registration, instructions, test dates and study guides are available here.
- A Standard Certificate must be renewed every 5 years. A teacher must complete a minimum of 150 professional development hours over those 5 years before the Standard Certificate can be renewed.
- Those who hold a Professional Certificate (Principal, Superintendent, Reading Specialist, Master Teacher, Educational Diagnostician, School Librarian and School Counselor) must complete a minimum of 200 professional development hours over those 5 years before the Professional Certificate can be renewed.
- Certificate holders will receive a notice from the Texas Education Agency several months before their expiration date with instructions on how to renew the certificate provided all contact information is current. Please click here for instructions on how to renew your certificate.
Educators must keep their Texas Educator Certification Online System profile updated at all times
- This includes your current name, address, email address, etc. Please click here to login to the Educator Certification Online System (ECOS).
Teachers who are certified out of state
- Credentials from another state must be reviewed in order to become certified in Texas. Please click here for instructions on how to transfer your certification to Texas.
Teachers who are certified from another country
- Before you can submit your credentials to TEA for review, you will need to have your transcripts evaluated. For more information, please click here.
Routes to certification in Texas
- There are numerous university-based and alternative certification programs. Please click here to visit the Texas Education Agency website for information on Alternative Certification Programs. Carroll ISD is part of Region 11.
For Further Information on Teacher Certification