Refunds and Transfers

  • Request a Refund or Transfer:

    • BEFORE requesting refunds, please cancel automatic payments in your My School Bucks account.
    • Not cancelling first will result in the online payment system automatically drafting a RELOAD payment to your student’s lunch account.
    • Money left on accounts will roll over with your student next year.
    • Students who are graduating, withdrawing, or who have lunch accounts with no activity for at least 2 grading periods, may submit a request for a refund or transfer funds to a sibling.
    • Transferring funds between siblings' accounts may be done any time.