CISD Dyslexia Services
The most common CISD services offered are:
- Language Science Dyslexia Therapy Program
- Regular classroom with 504 accommodations
- Special Education Services for Eligible Students
Within Carroll ISD, the definitive decision in determining whether or not a student meets the district’s dyslexia/related eligibility criteria is made by the 504 or ARD/IEP Committee. Each student will receive all programs/services and/or accommodations/modifications as delineated in his or her 504 Plan (IAP) or Individual Education Plan (IEP).
The Carroll ISD Language Science Dyslexia Program is an Orton-Gillingham based explicit, intensive, multi-sensory program available at all campuses, beginning with phonemic/phonological skills in kindergarten and first grade and tailored to meet individual needs.
Language Science Class Components
- Provide students with a better understanding of the language structure by breaking words into parts according to their letter/letter clusters (graphemes), speech sounds (phonemes), meaningful units (morphemes), and syllable types or patterns.
- Teach probable pronunciations and predictable patterns of words.
- Build fluent readers who have the ability to read accurately, quickly, and expressively with good phrasing, and good comprehension.
- Improve spelling by teaching the rules that most often apply to words according to the situation in which the word is being used.
- Build student confidence as a reader.
- Alphabetic Principle
- Phonemic Awareness
- Texas Scottish Rite Hospital: Take Flight
- Read Naturally - Oral Reading Fluency
- Reading Plus - Silent Reading Fluency and Comprehension
- Multi-sensory grammar
- Word Workout
We strive to create open communication and collaboration between the parents, students, and district staff.