Prekindergarten Tuition-Based Spots are FULL for 2023-2024 school year.
If you believe your child meets state eligibility requirements for prekindergarten (listed below), please fill out this form CISD Prekindergarten Eligibility Verification and a member of our department will contact you about next steps in verification of eligibility.
The Carroll ISD Blended Prekindergarten Program serves students who are ages 3 and 4 as of September 1st of the school year, that reside within Carroll ISD attendance boundaries and meet one of the following criteria.
- Students who are eligible for Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) formerly PPCD
- Students who are eligible for free public school Prekindergarten according to state eligibility requirements
- Tuition-Based Students (based on space availability)
Eligibility for State-Funded Free Prekindergarten
Texas state law requires school districts provide free prekindergarten to students who are 4 years old by September 1st AND meet one of the following eligibility criteria:
Eligibility Criteria for Free State-Funded Prekindergarten
- is educationally disadvantaged (which means a student eligible to participate in the national free or reduced lunch program), including students who receive SNAP, TANF, or Medicaid benefits; or
- is unable to speak and comprehend the English language (based on preLAS score); or
- is homeless; or
- is or ever has been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services (foster care); or
- is the child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States or is the child of a member of the armed forces of the United States who was injured or killed while serving on active duty; or
- is the child of a recipient of the Star of Texas Award
*Students who meet the same criteria as above and are 3 years old by September 1st will pay partial tuition. CISD provides a full day PreK program and receives ½ day funding from the state for 3 year olds who meet State Eligibility. Parents of 3 year old students meeting State Eligibility will pay the supplemental tuition- $2,921 total ($292.10 a month for 10 months) *This rate is subject to change with TEA Tuition Rate Approval in July.
Prekindergarten 3 year old students who meet the Educationally Disadvantaged criteria are eligible for subsidized tuition provided by the district and receive full day Prekindergarten at no charge. Application and Affidavit of No Income Forms
Eligibility for Tuition-Based Prekindergarten
Carroll ISD also offers Tuition-Based Prekindergarten spots. Students who reside within Carroll ISD boundaries or Grandparent In-Residence who do not meet eligibility for state-mandated free prekindergarten listed above, and who are three or four by September 1st of the school year, may apply for enrollment. Tuition-based spots are limited and are determined on a first come, first served basis.
Blended Prekindergarten Curriculum
Carroll ISD follows the Texas Education Agency’s Prekindergarten Guidelines. Our comprehensive early childhood instructional model is enriched by using Frog Street Pre-K for the 4 year old classes and Frog Street Threes for our 3 year old classes. Frog Street curriculum is a research-based program that integrates instruction across developmental domains and early learning disciplines. Carroll ISD’s high-quality Prekindergarten instructional framework inspires curiosity, builds confidence and kindergarten readiness. Our early childhood certified teachers are committed to providing daily meaningful learning experiences to all students, opportunities for active exploration through thoughtfully planned activities and differentiated instruction to meet the needs of all learners, including English Language Learners and children with special needs.
Who Can Enroll
- Students of CISD Employees
- Students -zoned to CISD
- Students- Grandparent In-Resident
Carroll ISD offers a blended Prekindergarten program which serves three types of early education learners in an inclusive environment, as well as a special education setting for students who require more intensive and individualized instruction that the blended program is unable to provide. The Prekindergarten program is currently provided at three elementary campuses: Carroll Elementary, Rockenbaugh Elementary, and Old Union Elementary.
Eligibility for Early Childhood Special Education
The Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) provides special education and related services for eligible children with disabilities aged three-five. This program is legally mandated for eligible students beginning on their third birthday, regardless of when the birthday falls during the school year, and ends when the student becomes eligible for kindergarten. These services are determined by the student’s Admission, Review, and Dismissal committee (ARD), based on individual need, and may include walk-in therapy, partial/full day placement in the CISD Blended Prekindergarten Program, and/or placement into a special education setting designed to provide students with foundational skills required to demonstrate success in the general education environment. Special education services provided through ECSE are offered at no cost to parents. Child Find Information If you believe that your child has a disability that requires special education services, please contact:
Coordinator of Specialized Assessment & Compliance: Jaclyn George
The Texas Prekindergarten Guidelines focus on the following domains
- Social and Emotional Development
- Language and Communication
- Emergent Literacy Reading
- Emergent Literacy Writing
- Social Studies
- Fine Arts
- Physical Development and Health
Prekindergarten Assessment and Reporting
Texas requires Beginning of the Year (BOY) and End of the Year (EOY) assessments be given to prekindergarten 4 year olds using an assessment tool approved by the Commissioner's List. The five developmental domains required to be assessed in prekindergarten in accordance with 19 TAC §102.1003 (c) (1)
- Health and wellness
- Language and communication
- Emergent literacy - reading
- Emergent literacy - writing
If you have questions regarding Prekindergarten, please reach out to:
Mary Davis Prek/ESL Lead
Questions regarding Child Find- Testing for prekindergarten students who might qualify for special education and related services, please reach out to:
Coordinator of Specialized Assessment & Compliance
- Prekindergarten Family Engagement Plan
- High Quality PreK in Texas
- Early Childhood Family Resources
- Children’s Learning Institute
- School Readiness Parent Guide (English)
- School Readiness Parent Guide (Spanish)
- National Association for the Education of Young Children
- Little Texans Big Futures 36-48 Months (English)
- Little Texans Big Futures 36-48 Meses (Spanish)
- CISD Prekindergarten Annual Self-Assessment
- Parent Companion