Carroll ISD considers substitute teaching an important phase of our total school program. The substitute teacher plays a vital role in upholding the high standards of teachers which we maintain in our school system. Therefore, the presence of the substitute teacher must ensure a continuous program of quality instruction for all children. A substitute teacher is one of the most valuable assets of Carroll ISD. Our faculty could not deliver the level of instruction expected by our community without the help and support of dedicated substitute teachers.
Substitute Teacher/Nurse Requirements
Substitute Teacher/Aide Requirements
- At least 21 years old
- High school diploma or GED
- Must complete an online application
- Must attend a substitute orientation
- As per Senate Bill 9, all Substitute Teachers/Aides must be fingerprinted before they start working. Fingerprinting is at the substitute’s expense and the cost is $48.25 for non-certified substitutes and $50.25 for certified substitutes. Further information regarding fingerprinting will be discussed at orientation.
Substitute Nurse Requirements
- At least 21 years old
- Texas Registered Nurse License
- Must complete an online application
- Must attend a administrative meeting & a clinic orientation
- To apply as a new Substitute Nurse for the 2020-2021 school year, please click here.
- Once you have completed and submitted your application, please call (817) 949-8213 or email Substitute.Teachers@southlakecarroll.edu.
- As per Senate Bill 9, all Substitute Nurses must be fingerprinted before they start working. Fingerprinting is at the substitute’s expense and the cost is $48.25 for non-certified substitutes and $50.25 for certified substitutes. Further information regarding fingerprinting will be discussed at orientation.
*Substitute Teachers AND Nurses must submit official transcripts (original with Registrar's signature or stamp and seal) in order to be paid at the degreed and/or certified rate. Electronic transcripts will be accepted provided they are emailed directly from the university to Substitute.Teachers@southlakecarroll.edu. Foreign transcripts must be evaluated by a Foreign Credential Evaluation Service prior to submission.
New Substitute Teacher/Aide Hiring Process
1) Complete the Substitute Application
2) Register for Orientation.
Once you have submitted your application, and it is reviewed, you will receive an email inviting you to register for a substitute orientation. ALL FALL options are virtual, and are from 9:00am - 12:30pm through Zoom. The January 2021 option will be at the Administration Building from 9:00am - 1:30pm (unless also changed to virtual, as well):
- Thursday, August 6, 2020
- Friday, August 28, 2020
- Friday, September 18, 2020
- Friday, October 23, 2020
- Friday, January 15, 2021
3) Complete REQUIRED Online Training Requirements BEFORE Orientation
Carroll ISD utilizes the Substitute Teacher Training Program designed by and delivered by STEDI.org. This training program is a required part of the substitute application process for non-certified* substitute candidates! Non-certified substitute applicants are required to complete the SubSkills Online Training Package™ and pass the Online SubAssessment™ with a composite score of 85% or greater.
*Applicants who hold a valid Teaching Certificate may waive the STEDI training and STEDI assessment portions. In addition, those who have taken the STEDI training and assessment (and have the STEDI SubDiploma) within the previous 3 years may waive the STEDI training. Please send a copy of your SubDiploma™ to Jaclyn.Hemmila@southlakecarroll.edu.
There is a cost of $39.95 associated with the SubSkills Online Training Package™ (Basic Option A), which will be the responsibility of the applicant. Payment may be made online by credit card, check, or money order. This cost will not be reimbursed by Carroll ISD. The training fee provides the applicant online access for one year to additional substitute resources and training materials.
The training may only be taken online and includes 6-10 hours of interactive SubSkills™ training. If you prefer not to study at a computer, you may purchase a handbook for an additional $19.95. It takes an average of thirty minutes to complete each of the five sections. Candidates may take the SubAssessment™ a maximum of 4 times to obtain a passing score of at least 85%.
Once training is complete, applicants should print or save a copy of the SubDiploma™ for their records. Send a copy of the SubDiploma™ to Jaclyn.Hemmila@southlakecarroll.edu, when you complete the training. To access the online training, go to www.stedi.org. Select "Shop" in the top menu bar then select "Purchase Courses,” and select SubSkills Online Training Package™ (Basic Option A). You must send a copy of your SubDiploma™ or current Valid Teaching Certificate to Jaclyn.Hemmila@southlakecarroll.edu, before you are able to complete orientation.
*Please direct any questions or issues you may have regarding course registration to firstname.lastname@example.org.
4) Make an appointment to bring in documents (due to COVID, only scheduled appointments will be seen, and applicants must wear a mask).
- Please bring the following documents to the SCHEDULED appointment (you will recieve a link to schedule an appointment once you apply):
- Driver’s license
- Social security card or unexpired passport (if you do not have a social security card/passport or it is not in your current name, please visit www.ssa.gov for information on how to obtain a social security card)
- If you are not a US Citizen, please bring a copy of your Permanent Resident Card or Employment Authorization Card
- Original transcripts with university seal/registrar’s signature and date that your Bachelor’s Degree was conferred (if you have a Bachelor’s Degree). Transcripts for other degrees besides your bachelor’s are not required. Copies of transcripts will not be accepted.
- OR, you can send transcripts electronically provided they are sent directly from the college/university to Substitute.Teachers@southlakecarroll.edu. You may also have your sealed transcripts mailed to the address above, or bring with you to your appointment.
If you have transcripts from a foreign country, they must be evaluated by a Foreign Credential Evaluation Service prior to submission. Please visit this link for a list of evaluation service providers http://tea.texas.gov/Texas_Educators/Certification/Out-of-State_Certification/Foreign_Credential_Evaluation_Services/
5) Attend Orientation.
6) Complete required fingerprinting and background check.
7) Complete any required SafeSchools Training.
More information on this will be given at substitute orientation.
Bachelor's Degree and/or Out-of-State Certification
Bachelor's Degree and Valid Texas Teacher Certification